If you wanna feel better about your family, just read about ours...

Starring: a dad, a mom, a son & daughter-in-law, a daughter & son-in-law, another daughter & son-in-law, 1 teen, 1 grandson, 3 granddaughters, 4 dogs, and a whole lot of love.






Family Story Pic

Family Story Pic

Labels

Sunday, March 28, 2010

For better or for worse......


I'm thankful to say that I don't get sick very often. Not that I'm the picture of health, but I try my best. The last time I got sick was this past fall. I had taken the kids for their flu shots, and I came down with the flu. I remember hearing lots of activity in the kitchen so I dragged myself out of bed to check into it. I wish I hadn't......Z was straining rice through a colander, my husband, dressed in his boxer shorts, was cooking frozen pot pies in the microwave (without taking them out of the box), A was on the verge of hysteria about the frozen fish sticks he made her that were beer battered and she was only thirteen, and C had no clothes on and kept repeating something about poop on the floor. I silently turned around and went back to bed before they noticed me.

That's when I decided to take my attempts at staying healthy to a new level. I spent this past winter losing my 20 lbs of lingering 'C weight', getting back into a hard core workout routine, and making some healthy substitutes in the meals I made. All was going well until C got Croup on Thursday and I got the Flu on Friday.

I'll spare you all the gory details of what my weekend entailed. It's kind of a blur, anyway. I vaguely remember C having an accident in our bed which led to my husband and Z rolling me back and forth as they tried to get the sheets out from under me. And I think I remember him talking to the three year old about the importance of not 'misjudging a fart' but let's just chalk that up to my fever-induced stupor, okay?

The important thing is that it's day three and when I woke up I could tell that the worst was behind me and although we missed church I was hoping to try to make it to Marriage Class tonight. Then I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. PMS aside, I think this is what the vows mean when we say 'for better or for worse.' And I sent up a prayer of thanks that I have a husband who lives up to those. But then I began working my way through the house on my way to the shower. Reminiscent of his old college dorm room, I passed both sets of Play Station controllers lying on the couch in the rec room amidst stacks of pizza boxes, piles of dishes with dried up food scattered throughout the house, and the kids toothbrushes were dry as bones as I'm sure they'd not seen the inside of a mouth in three days.....and then I sent up a prayer of thanks that I am the type of wife who lives up to those same vows.

The first thing I did was call everyone together this morning and explain my disgust with what I found and since he never seems to learn not to say what's on his mind, my husband offered up his thoughts on the subject. He said, "That's how I feel when I go back to work after taking three days off......"

On that note, I think it's safe to say we'll be at Marriage Class tonight come h*** or high water......

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!! It makes me feel good knowing other familys spiral out of control when we (moms) aren't able to guide their pee-brains in the right direction! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete