If you wanna feel better about your family, just read about ours...

Starring: a dad, a mom, a son & daughter-in-law, a daughter & son-in-law, another daughter & son-in-law, 1 teen, 1 grandson, 3 granddaughters, 4 dogs, and a whole lot of love.






Family Story Pic

Family Story Pic

Labels

Saturday, January 29, 2011

He had me at "Howdy"


Remember your first love? Not necessarily your first boyfriend. Or even your first kiss. I'm talking about that very first person that rocked your world with the first word he ever said to you. Ever wonder where he is now? Well, I don't have to. Because my first love is lying on our bed right behind me.

I'm one of those few who can say she married her very first love. We met our senior year of high school on a blind date set up by his dad. I've got to admit when his dad suggested I meet his son, my first thought was, "What kind of guy needs his dad to set him up?" I've since learned that when his dad suggested to his son that he call me, his first thought was "What kind of loser needs somebody to set her up on a date?" (Wow. "Loser" was kinda harsh. Geesh.)

We finally arranged our very first date and he was 2 hours late. (Now I know that he gets his rights and lefts mixed up and he gets lost, but I didn't know that at the time and spent 2 hours sitting on my couch walking that fine line between heart-broken and pissed.) Finally, the doorbell rang and in walked this 6'2 hunk of man and we saw each other for the first time. (Football player meet cheerleader.) He was wearing a baseball cap and cowboy boots and my heart started thumping....and then he sealed the deal and said "Howdy Baby" and I took his hand and walked out the door with my future husband. That was March 10th, 1990 and we continue to celebrate that date every year.

That's not to say we didn't have our bumps along the way. We broke up for 2 years. But in true "us" fashion, our reunion was dramatic when out of the blue, he asked his parents to drop him off on the highway beside my house, he jumped the fence, knocked on my door and met me with that "Howdy Baby" yet again. That was July 29th 1992. We were engaged one month later and got married on January 30th, 1993. (Super Bowl weekend....not my best judgment call.)

Eighteen years and four kids later and the honeymoon phase rages on. He still gets his rights and lefts mixed up, he still gets lost, and he still runs late. (Except for our anniversary. He thinks we got married on January 29th.) But he still gets my heart thumping with a look, a touch, a kiss and that darn "Howdy Baby."

So we're spending our weekend in celebration, sans the dreadful Super Bowl which lands in February this year. I can't imagine my life without this man and I'm so glad I don't have to.

First love is a powerful thing and I can tell you from experience that when you're with the right person, that power gets stronger every year.

Happy Anniversary, Baby. You still rock my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment