If you wanna feel better about your family, just read about ours...

Starring: a dad, a mom, a son & daughter-in-law, a daughter & son-in-law, another daughter & son-in-law, 1 teen, 1 grandson, 3 granddaughters, 4 dogs, and a whole lot of love.






Family Story Pic

Family Story Pic

Labels

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Jesus Talks

I don't compartmentalize Jesus. Any chance I get, I say His name. I'm not hesitant, embarrassed, or afraid to bring Him into conversations. As a matter of fact, I look for any opening that presents itself. 

Not because I'm a good Christian who lives a good Christian life and I think you need savin'. Quite the opposite, actually. Believe me when I tell you my list of regrets, struggles, sins, fears, traumas, insecurities, failures...they're all fresh in my mind because Satan keeps reminding me. (Usually on a loop at 3am.) 

If you know me at all, you know I speak openly and honestly about the mess that I am. Why am I so upfront about the crap that haunts me? 

Because it automatically gives me a reason to say it:
"But JESUS."

Remember when you did that? 
"But JESUS."
Remember when you said that? 
"But JESUS."
Remember how you still do this even though you know it's wrong? 
"But JESUS."

"But JESUS. But JESUS! But JESUS!!"

Satan will never stop.
Neither will I.

There is power in the name of Jesus and Jesus loves me!
And if Jesus loves a hot mess like me, He surely loves you too!

So if I'm talking about Jesus to myself at 3am and to anyone I encounter throughout my day, it's a no-brainer that Jesus talks happen on the regular with our kids and grand babies. It's not forced and I don't sit everyone down for a daily sermon, although my kids might remember differently about their childhood. I just speak His name like He's a member of our family who's in our house with us- because He.is.

For instance, every day at rest time, as I tucked our two youngest granddaughters into bed, I asked them, "Who loves you the mostest?" And they teased me with wrong answers until I yelled, "JESUS!"

It's the last name they heard spoken over them before they went to sleep.

One day Scarlet woke up from her nap and sat with me on the couch and I asked her, "What do you think I love most about you?" 

To be honest, my answer was going to be her huge sassy personality that refuses to follow the crowd and is destined to lead someday.

But without hesitation she answered, "My heart."
Surprised by that, I asked, "Why do you think I love your heart the most?"
And she said, "Because Jesus lives there and you always love Jesus."

*chills*
I wasn't about to let this opportunity pass, so I continued- "Did you ask Jesus into your heart? Because He doesn't just come in there. He waits to be invited."

Without missing a beat, she answered- "I talked to Him last night and told Him He could come in there and spend one night. He's going back to His house tomorrow."

And that right there is a glimpse of Scarlet.
Six years old now. 
Baby stepping toward salvation. 

Aren't we all?

The deeper levels of meaning you can attach to that conversation have been at the forefront of my mind. How many times do we invite Jesus into our lives, but on our terms?

Okay Jesus, you can be here today because it's a good day and I feel ya.
Okay Jesus, imma need you to head back to your house for awhile because I know you won't approve of what I'm about to do.
Stay put, I got this one Jesus.
Everything's falling apart, where you at Jesus?

I'm guilty of it and Satan loves nothing more than to shame me into believing that I'm a failure every time I get myself into another mess and call out to Jesus, because Jesus has obviously given up on me by now.

But Jesus isn't like that. He loves me with an overwhelming-never-ending-leaves the 99 for-reckless kind of love. Every single day. He's not a one and done figure painted onto my life portrait. He's the artist, and as long as I'm alive, I'm his masterpiece in the making and so are you. Even when I get it wrong.

Speaking of getting it wrong, awhile back, Scarlet asked me where babies come from.
As the grandparent, answering that with biological facts is outside of my lane, so I said "Babies come from mommies tummies!" She shot back with, "Nooo, they come from Jesus. I can't believe you got that wrong." 

I walked right into that one.

So for anyone reading this today who needs to hear it- Say it out loud: "JESUS." 

And for myself- a cracked pot, work in progress, repeat offender, baby steppin', lost sheep who needs Him to come find me every single day- I call out "JESUS!" 

If you haven't met Him, I'd love to talk with you about Him- reach out to me or click the link to check out this song and Let Me Tell You About My Jesus


No comments:

Post a Comment