If you wanna feel better about your family, just read about ours...

Starring: a dad, a mom, a son & daughter-in-law, a daughter & son-in-law, another daughter & son-in-law, 1 teen, 1 grandson, 3 granddaughters, 4 dogs, and a whole lot of love.






Family Story Pic

Family Story Pic

Labels

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

The one where Barbara didn't understand the assignment

I love Zac's wife as if she were my own daughter and just like with Aubrey, Kearstin, and Caymen, I count Barbara as one of my very best girl friends. She's the whole package- smart, artistic, beautiful, kind hearted...and also slightly ruthless competitive.

Sometimes Barbara takes her slightly competitive side to the next level and occasionallyyyy gets a little...(whispers) mean.

On the boat over Memorial Day weekend, she and I played a guessing game of 'name that song' that ended after the first round with me telling her I pretty please don't want to play anymore.

Fast forward to 4 days ago when that song started playing on the boat, I interrupted a conversation and started telling Ron to "Turn it off, turn that song off, TURN THAT SONG OFF!" None of us understood why until I remembered that was the song I couldn't guess the title of and now I apparently have ptsd triggered by the worship song 'Forever Glorified'...

*Flashback to Barbara's clues- "NO! Shorten it. SHORTEN IT!! I.SAID.SHORTEN IT!!!"

WAIT! It's just Forever! I meant to say Forever! It's NOT Forever Glorified! I'm Sorry! 

Other than that, she's like the nicest person you'll ever meet. Also an amazing softball player, which combined with her mean er, competitive streak, makes her a force to be reckoned with on the field. 

Whether she's playing in a competitive women's league or the co-ed church league is irrelevant. She's wearing scary looking black teeth guards and she's out there to play hard and get dirty. Fun is secondary.

So our church softball team was asked to play a "fun" game against a special needs team last year...
You see where this is headed, right?

Going into it, there was an unspoken understanding that the special needs team would win.
I'm giving Barbara the benefit of the doubt that this understanding was never spoken out loud, although everyone on our team had been instructed to hit with their opposite hands so I feel like that was a clue. 

Long story short, the majority of our team "bobbled" catches, "missed" grounders, and "struck out"...while Barbara played the best game of her life.

At one point our Pastor leaned over to me and whispered, "Did Barbara understand the assignment?"

Listen. It just so happens she makes an amazing switch hitter and she can't be faulted for that...although gunning down the 40 year old man who hit off a tee and chasing and tagging the girl on the scooter as she rounded second might've been slightly over the top.

To my surprise, they were asked to play that team again this year and it's tonight. I asked her what her plan was for the game and she answered, "I plan on trying to hit to all parts of the field."
Oh boy. I hope she's not referring to all the parts that are over the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment